The Mission Homes were established in 1937 through the foresight and generosity of Carolyn Babcock Adams and her family. The Adams family served as missionaries in Korea for two generations, conducting evangelistic work at the newly established station of Taegu. Caroline Babcock, the second wife of James Adams, joined him in his mission work at Taegu, after the death of his wife, Nellie. When Caroline came home on furlough for reflection and interpretation of her ministry every seventh year, she needed a pace to stay. A gift from her family made possible the purchase of a court of seven cottages on Regent Street in Berkeley, the current site of the Berkeley Presbyterian Mission Homes. Subsequently, two large adjacent houses have been added to the property as well as a six unit apartment complex.
Today, the primary use of the facility is to provide housing for international church leaders who are pursuing advanced doctoral degrees at the Graduate Theological Union. In the near future, that function will be shared with the additional focus of bringing together scholars of diverse religious traditions in an intentional residential interfaith community to study and work together on issues of common concern.
The Homes are administered by a Board of volunteer Directors, drawn from churches of San Francisco Presbytery. The day-to-day operation of the facility is guided by a resident manager, who reports to the Board. The Board and the Manager meet on a monthly basis and Board sub-committees carry on numerous tasks throughout the month.